Saturday, March 1, 2014

"What The Cross Symbolizes" By Martin Luther King Jr.




"Every time I look at the cross
 I am reminded of the greatness of God
 and the redemptive power of Jesus Christ.
 I am reminded of the beauty
 of sacrificial love 
and the majesty
 of unswerving devotion to truth.
 It causes me to say
 with John Bowring:

In the cross of Christ I glory,
Towering o'er the wrecks of time;
All the light of sacred story
Gathers round its head sublime.

It would be wonderful
 were I to look at the cross
 and sense only
 such a sublime reaction.
 But somehow I can never
 turn my eyes from that cross
 without realizing that it 
symbolizes a strange mixture
 of greatness and smallness,
 of good and evil. 
 As I behold that uplifted cross
 I am reminded not only
 of the unlimited power of God,
 but also of the sordid weakness of man.
 I think not only of
 the radiance of the divine, 
but also of the tang
 of the human.
 I am reminded not only
 of Christ at His best, 
but of man at his worst.

We must see the cross
 as the magnificent symbol
 of love conquering hate
 and of light overcoming
 darkness.
 But in the midst 
of this glowing affirmation,
 let us never forget 
that our Lord and Master
 was nailed to that cross 
because of human blindness.  
Those who crucified Him
 knew not what they did."

-Martin Luther King

No comments:

Post a Comment