Friday, September 6, 2019

Just For Today




"...and as your day, so shall your strength,
your rest, and security be."
Deuteronomy 33:25



Monarch Butterfly 



My Father, this I ask of Thee;

Knowing that Thou wilt grant the plea-

For this, and only this, I pray

Strength for today-just for today.


Strength for each trial and each task,

What more, my Father, should I ask?

Just as I need it, day by day,

Strength for my weakness-this I pray. 


I do not ask a lifted load,

Nor for a smooth and thornless road;

Simply the strength enough to bear

Life's daily burdens anywhere.


Strength for the present hour and need-

This given, then I'm blest indeed;

For each day, as it comes, will bring

Sufficient strength for anything.


Strength for today, that I may make

Some sad souls glad, for Jesus' sake;

Then they, with me, at eve shall say,

"Thank God for strength He gave today."




"Just For Today"
(1900)
Eben Eugene Rexford
(1848-1916)
American writer and poet
During the first administration of
President Grover Cleveland, Mr. Wexford
served as the postmaster of Shiocton, Wisconsin




No comments:

Post a Comment