Saturday, November 13, 2021

On My Mind: If You Love Your Freedom, Thank A Veteran

 


America just remembered the men and women of the US Armed Forces
this week on Veteran's Day.  Whenever I see a soldier or a veteran, especially
an elderly one, on the street, in a store, or even in a restaurant, I forsake my
natural reserve and thank them for their service and my freedom.
Most have been genuinely surprised and appreciative.





I'll never forget one day while I was shopping at the grocery store and
due to unpacked merchandise sitting in the aisles had to navigate my cart
around stacks of cans and boxes, etc.  An older gentleman wearing a
US Navy cap with his battleship embroidered on the front was coming in
the opposite direction.  We both laughed and then I moved over to allow
him to pass by me.  However, before he went on down the aisle I
stopped him and thanked him for my freedom.

He began to cry and said he did not think anyone really cared anymore
about his service to our nation "down there"-indicating Washington DC.
At this time, President Obama was in the White House.  I told him that
many people still care about him and his service to our nation.

As he smiled and walked away I thought that this was no chance encounter.
I realized how many of our older veterans, especially the men who served in
Korea and Vietnam feel forgotten.

  I vowed that day to always thanks the men and women of
 our Armed Forces when I see them out in the store or someplace else.




No comments:

Post a Comment