Saturday, February 17, 2024

Saturday Poetry Corner: Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening

 



"The woods are lovely, dark and deep..."


While a stanza from this famous poem was used as a trigger
 to activate hypnotized Russian agents living in America in
 the 1977 spy thriller, "Telefon"  I love this Robert Frost classic,
especially in the wake of the surprise snow which fell last night!

 I have often wondered whose house it was in the village and
 why this person might have had a problem with the driver of
the sleigh stopping, "To watch his woods fill up with snow".
Was he friend or foe?

Like the danger posed through hypnosis on the intricate mind
and will of human beings, I suppose the identity of the stranger
who owned the woods will always remain a mystery.



Stopping by Woods On A Snowy Evening
Ken Fiery
Image courtesy/Fine Art America


Whose woods these are I think I know.

His house is in the village though;

He will not see me stopping here

To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer

To stop without a farmhouse near

Between the woods and frozen lake

The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake

To ask if there is some mistake.

The only other sound's the sweep

Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.


Robert Frost
(1910)
Image courtesy/Wikipedia

"Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening"
(1923)
Robert Frost
(1874-1963)
American poet




No comments:

Post a Comment