Saturday, February 24, 2024

Immortal Love Within Whose Righteous Will




"I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace.
In the world you will have tribulation. But take courage;
 I have overcome the world!
(John 14:27)


Sheep and lambs are a common sight in the Irish countryside in the springtime.
Photograph courtesy/espiegle via Canva/Let's Go Ireland


Immortal Love, within Whose righteous will

Is always peace, O pity me, storm-tossed on waves of ill;

Let passion cease; Come down in power within my heart to reign,

For I am weak, and struggle has been in vain.

The days are gone when far and wide my will

Drove me astray; And now I fain would climb the arduous hill

That narrow way, Which leads through mist and rocks to Thine abode;

Toiling for man, and Thee, Almighty God.


What-e'er of pain Thy loving hand allot,

I gladly bear; Only, O Lord, let peace be not forgot

Nor, yet Thy care, Freedom from storms and wild desires within,

Peace from the fierce oppression of my sin.


So may I,  faraway when evening falls

On life and love, Arrive at last the holy, happy, halls

With Thee above,  Wounded, yet healed; sin-laden yet forgiven;

And sure Thy goodness is my only heaven.

Amen.


"Immortal Love Within Whose Righteous Will"
(1881)
Stopford Augustus Brooke
(1832-1916)
Irish churchman, royal chaplain, writer




No comments:

Post a Comment