Sunday, March 29, 2020

Fifth Sunday Meditation: A Soldier's Prayer



"By fearful and glorious things that terrify the wicked
but make the godly sing praises do you answer us in righteousness,
O God of our salvation.  You who are the confidence and hope 
of all the ends of the earth and of those far off on the seas."
Psalm 65:5



Picture courtesy/Wikipedia




This is not the typical prayer of a believer, or requests one would
 normally think to ask of the Father in heaven.  I had to read it
more than once and allow the leading of the Holy Spirit to guide 
me in understanding the meaning behind the words. 

 The image that came into my mind after reading this prayer
 was one of our Lord in the garden of Gethsemane.

  Jesus was in such mental and physical anguish over what He was
  about to face that He sweat droplets of blood.  And yet, instead of 
getting up and simply walking away from it all,  He bowed His
    weary head in complete obedience to His Father, and said,
 "Not my will, but Thy will be done."


A Soldier's Prayer

I am asking You God, to give me what You have left.
Give me those things which others never ask of You.
I don't ask You for rest or tranquility.
Not that of the spirit, the body, or the mind.
I don't ask You for wealth, or success, or even health.
All those things are asked of You so much Lord,
that You can't have any left to give.
Give me instead Lord what You have left.
Give me what others don't want.
I want uncertainty and doubt.
I want torment and battle.
All I ask that You give them to me now and forever Lord,
so I can be sure to always have them, 
because I won't always have the strength to ask again.
But give me also the courage, the energy, and the spirit to face them.
I ask You these things Lord, because I can't ask them of myself.



A "Soldier's Prayer" was written by a man named Andre' Louis Arthur Zirnheld,
a member of the Special Air Service French Squadron during World War II.
I would like to thank the folks over at AmericanFlags.com 
for sending me this prayer via e-mail. 

A special Thank You to the countless men and women of the United States
 Armed Forces, past and present, who willingly chose what others do
not want-uncertainty and doubt, torment, and battle- so that America
and her people can live in prosperity and in security, but far 
more importantly, in freedom.

May God bless you always.

For those who are no longer present on this earth,
May your souls rest in peace.

Suggested Scripture Reading:
Ephesians Chapter 6



No comments:

Post a Comment