Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Wednesday's Word: Clean Before The Lord

 

"Create a clean heart in me, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me."
(Psalm 51:10)



Image courtesy/Daniel Kelly


First, very humbly and utterly honestly we need to search and try our ways
before our God; or rather, as we shall soon realize our helplessness to make
such a search, ask Him to do it for us, praying for His promised Spirit to
show us unmistakably if there is any secret thing within us that is hindering
 both the inflow and outflow of His grace to us and through us.

Do not let us shrink into a dark corner from some unexpected flash;
do not let us wince at the sudden touching of a hidden plague spot.
The Lord always does His own work thoroughly, if we will
only let Him do it.  If we put ourselves into His hands,
He will search and probe fully and firmly, 
though very tenderly.

It may be painful, but only that He may do the very thing we want-
cleanse us and heal us thoroughly, so that we may set off to walk
in the real newness of life. But, is we do not put it unreservedly
into His hands, it will be no use thinking or talking about
 our lives being consecrated to Him.

The heart that is not entrusted to Him for searching will not
be undertaken by Him for cleansing; the life that fears to come
to the light, lest any deed should be reproved, can never know
the blessedness and the privileges of walking in the light.

But what then?

 When He graciously again put a new song
into our mouth, and we are singing,

"Ransomed, healed, restored, forgiven,
Who like me His praise should sing?"

and again, with fresh earnestness we are saying,

"Take my life and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee!"

are we only to look forward to the same disappointing
experience over again?  Are we always to stand at the threshold?

Consecration is not so much a step as a course; not so much an act
as a position to which a course of action inseparably belongs.
Insofar as it is a course and a position, there must naturally
be a definite entrance upon it, and a time, it may be a moment,
when that entrance is made.

That is when we say, "Take";  but we do not want to go on
taking the first step over and over again. What we want now
is to be maintained in that position, and to fulfill that course.
So let us go on to another prayer.

Having already said, "Take my life, for I cannot give it Thee,"
let us now say, with deepened conviction that without Christ
we really can do nothing-

"Keep my life, for I cannot keep it for Thee."

Let us ask this with the same simple trust to which, in so
many other things, He has so liberally and graciously responded.

For... "this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if 
 we ask anything according to His will, He will hear us;
and if we know that He heareth us, whatsoever we ask,
we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him."
(1 John 5:14-15)

There can be no doubt that this petition is according to His will,
because it is based on many a promise. May I give it to you just
as it floats through my own mind again and again, knowing
whom I have believed, and being persuaded that He is
able to keep that which I have committed unto Him?

Keep my life, that it may be

Consecrated, Lord, to Thee.

Keep my moments and my days;

Let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Keep my hands, that they may move

At the impulse of Thy love.

Keep my feet, that they may be

Swift and "beautiful" for Thee.

Keep my voice, that I may sing

Always, only for my King.

Keep my lips, that they may be

Filled with messages from Thee.

Keep my silver and my gold;

Not a mite would I withhold.

Keep my intellect, and use

Every power as Thou shalt choose.

Keep my will, O keep it Thine;

For it is no longer mine.

Keep my heart; it is Thine own,

It is now Thy royal throne.

Keep my love; my Lord, I pour

At Thy feet its treasure-store.

Keep myself, that I may be

Ever, only, all for Thee.





"Clean Before The Lord"
An excerpt from the book,
"Kept For The Master's Use
The Life Fully Devoted To God."
(1879)
Frances Ridley Havergal
(1836-1879)
English Christian poetess
and hymn writer

Picture of Frances Ridley Havergal
Courtesy/GospelLyrics




No comments:

Post a Comment