Thursday, October 15, 2020

The Song Of The Chrysanthemum

 

At last I have come to my throne.

No more, despised and unknown,

In gardens forlorn

My blossoms are born;




No more in some corner obscure

Do I drearily, sadly endure

The withering blight

Of neglect and of slight;


Oh, long have I waited and late,

For this fair and slow-coming fate,

Which the years have foretold

As they sighingly rolled.


Oh, long have I waited and lone;

But at last, on my blossomy throne,

The world doth declare

I am fairest of fair,


And queen of the autumn I reign,

With a sway that none may disdain,-

I, once who did stand,

Despised in the land.




"The Song Of The Chrysanthemum"
Nora Perry
(1831-1896)
American poet, newspaper correspondent
and writer of juvenile fiction


"Woman Cloaked In Red Among The White Chrysanthemums"
Oil on Canvas 
(1901)
Jean Beaudin
(1851-1916)
Belgian painter




No comments:

Post a Comment