Friday, February 11, 2022

Friday Flashback: AMERICAN NOSTALGIA: The 1960's Thrifty Wife

 


A great tribute to the traditional housewife and mother
in the America that used to be.  My wonderful mother,
who just turned 80 years old this month, was one of
those savvy, penny-wise women.

I can remember when money was tight, Mom would go to the butcher shop 
 and purchased beef scraps and bones from which she would make
a large pot of hearty vegetable beef soup. Along with a loaf of her
   delicious homemade bread, this was often supper for our family,
Dad and Mom and all six of us kids.  She also canned vegetables
from our garden and fruit in season.

Mom paid the bills and did other secretarial work in her "office"
-a desk and a filing cabinet at the bottom of our basement steps-
for the trucking company she and my father started in 1960.

I owe a lot to my mother, who passed on her thriftiness and her
great cooking skills to me, and also to my father, a hard-working
and responsible man who provided for us all.

By the way, my mother can still make a mighty fine pot of soup!


American Nostalgia: The 60's Thrifty Wife
Documentary Tube


No comments:

Post a Comment