Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Saluting Our American Heroes: "The Flag Gave Us Hope"

 


Flag-raising on Iwo Jima
February 23, 1945
Picture courtesy/Wikipedia


"I didn't know anything about the flag raising until Marines around me
began yelling and screaming while firing their weapons in the air and
saying something about a flag.  Jokingly, I have told people that I think
I had my head buried in the sand, but I turned around and the first thing
I saw was the flag.  I jumped up and started doing the same dumb thing
they were doing.  Morale was low at this point, and we had lost so
many men. The flag gave us hope. It was a kind of celebration
at that particular moment."
-Hershel "Woody" Williams



Hershel "Woody" Williams
Photograph courtesy Lance Cpl. Alexa M. Hernandez/U.S. Marine Corp.


The last Medal of Honor recipient from World War II
has died today at the age of 98.

Thank you, Mr. Williams for your courage and service to this nation.
Your selfless heroism, which rose above and beyond the call of duty
 in the ferocious battle to liberate the Pacific island of Iwo Jima
will always be remembered by freedom-loving people everywhere.

Semper Fidelis.   May your soul rest in peace.


Amazing Grace
My Chains Are Gone
(2014)
Chris Tomlin




No comments:

Post a Comment