Saturday, September 12, 2026

Saturday Poetry Corner: Summer And Fall

 

 

 

"How great are Your works, O LORD, how deep are Your thoughts!"
(Psalm 92:5) 

 

Purple Aster
Image courtesy/iStock
 
 


 Today it still is summer,

Tomorrow it will be fall.

I see the purple asters,

I hear the autumn's call.

 

I feel the warm sun shining

As a balmy south wind blows;

I see more flowers blooming

And I see the grass still grows;

 

The goldenrod is waving,

The bees are in the clover,

I hear a distant honking-

The geese are flying over.

 

The maple leaves are golden;

The pumpkins, round and yellow,

The apple cheeks are rosy

The pears are getting mellow.

 

The nuts are growing rounder,

The cornstalks brown and sear,

By twenty lovely tokens

I know that fall is near.

 

Today is still summer,

Tomorrow will be fall,

Today still I am barefoot--

Oh, how I love it all! 

 

"Summer and Fall"
Nora Keen Duffy
(1893-1989)
American poetess

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment