Saturday, July 29, 2023

In Memoriam: Country Roads

 


I am not sure what it is about this particular song, but when my father
passed away three years ago today,  "Country Roads" came into my
 mind.  I am not sure whether my Dad liked this song or not, and I
was not sure it was a song to play at his funeral.  (It wasn't.)


A Moose Crossing Long Pond
Jackman, Maine
Image courtesy/Pinterest


This song not only makes me feel homesick, but a sense of longing for
  those happy days of my childhood in a far different America, when
my Dad would take my mother and all six of us kids camping
for a week every summer in the beautiful Down East
community of Jackman, Maine.

Traveling with six kids in a crowded motor home from
New Jersey to Maine often wore on Dad's patience and
although the trip seemed long and sometimes boring,
we all had a lot of fun once we arrived at our destination.

I remember we use to sing along with songs on the radio
back then (the mid-1970's) to pass the time and to help
 keep Dad from falling asleep behind the wheel!  It worked!

"Country Roads" was released in April, 1971 and although
it moved slowly up the record charts, by August of the same
year it reached Number 2# on the Billboard Hot 100. 
It has since become an American classic and 
singer John Denver's signature song.
At least I think so!


In memory of my beloved father and the songs we sang
traveling down those country roads so long ago.
Rest in peace Daddy.


Take Me Home Country Roads
(1971)
John Denver

 

"God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death shall be no more,
neither shall there be anguish, sorrow, and mourning, nor grief nor pain any
 more, for the old conditions and the former order of things have passed away."
(Revelation 21:4)




No comments:

Post a Comment