Monday, July 24, 2023

Monday Meditation: Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

 


"It is vain for you to rise up early, to take rest late,
to eat the bread of anxious toil-for He gives 
 blessings to His beloved in sleep."
(Psalm 127:2)


Bedtime
Jessie Willcox Smith
(1863-1935)
American illustrator
Image courtesy/Fine Art America



I remember so well this prayer I said

Each night as my mother tucked me in bed,

And today this same prayer is still the best way

To sign off with God at the end of the day.

And to ask Him your soul to safely keep

As you wearily close your tired eyes in sleep,

Feeling content that the Father above

Will hold you secure in His great arms of love...

And having His promise if ere you wake

His angels reach down, your sweet soul to take,

Is perfect assurance that, awake or asleep,

God is always right there to tenderly keep.

All of His children ever safe in His care,

For God's here and He's there

and He's everywhere...

So into His hands each night as I sleep

I commend my soul for the dear Lord to keep,

Knowing that if my soul should take flight,

It will soar to the land where there is no night.



"Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep"
Helen Steiner Rice
(1900-1981)
American Christian writer and poetess




No comments:

Post a Comment