Thursday, September 1, 2022

One Year Ago Today...

 


A hellacious wind storm of epic proportions swept through the
  town of Mullica Hill, New Jersey bringing swift and shocking 
destruction to everything in its path...


Mullica Hill Tornado
September 1, 2021
Picture courtesy/NJ.com


Professional meteorologists on the local news and the national front,
as well as storm-chasers from near and far away, were absolutely stunned
at the magnitude of what was later declared a "high end F-3 tornado" as
the storm ravished the homes, fields, and woods of southern New Jersey,
traveling on the ground for some fifteen miles from Mullica Hill
before dissipating near the town of Deptford in Gloucester County.

This unprecedented twister was part of the powerful remnants
 of deadly Category 4 Hurricane Ida, which had devastated parts
 of Louisiana and other areas of the Gulf Coast only days before.

I have lived in southern New Jersey all my life and although we have endured
severe thunderstorms and even small tornadoes, I never thought I would see a
monster twister of this size and strength come barreling through my area!

I will never forget standing at my back door as the storm approached and
seeing the massive black cloud appear to be growing larger as it drew nearer
to my neighborhood.  I was terrified, yet, despite my fear, I knew Jesus was
standing there right beside me.  An old hymn came into my mind, one
I had been humming all day while waiting and watching to see 
 what the remnants of Ida would bring to my area.

"Thou who rulest wind and water, stand by me..."

The storm seemed very close and the wind started to pick up and then
 the power suddenly went out.  I told my kids to head for cover in our 
front bathroom (we live in a double-wide mobile home with no
basement) when the storm suddenly turned direction and headed
 away from us and further north towards the center of town.

The twister crossed over a nearby highway and blew through the
edge of the County fairgrounds and a small farm before sweeping
down a wooded hill and right through a housing development.
This was less than a mile from my home.

I believe the number of trees and woods in this area really
helped to slow the tornado down, but not before it
left miles of ruined homes and buildings in its wake. 

Although it was unfortunate that an area farmer lost some livestock
in the storm that day, I believe it was truly a miracle from God that
no one in our town or in the surrounding communities were
 severely injured or killed in that storm.

Today as I sit here writing this post one year later, the sun
is shining brightly and the deep blue skies are clear.
 This morning there was a slight coolness in the air.
Perhaps a hint of an early fall?

Although there was not a single named storm last month,
the Atlantic Hurricane Season is far from over.  I will never
again view the great forces of nature without reminding
myself that even though gargantuan tornadoes are a rare 
 event in southern New Jersey, if  atmospheric conditions
are right, they can and do happen almost anywhere!






No comments:

Post a Comment