Wednesday, June 21, 2023

A Summer Wish



"But those who wait for the Lord and hope in Him shall renew their strength
and power; they shall lift up their wings and mount up close to God as eagles
mount up to the sun; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."
(Isaiah 40:31)



Dorothy Rose
Photograph courtesy/Daniel Kelly



 Live all thy sweet life through.

Sweet Rose, dew-sprent,

Drop down thine evening dew

To gather it anew

When day is bright:

I  fancy thou wast meant

Chiefly to give delight.

Sing in the silent sky,

Glad soaring bird;

Sing out thy notes on high

To sunbeam straying by

Or passing cloud;

Heedless if thou art heard

Sing thy full song aloud.


Oh that it were with me

As with the flower;

Blooming on its own tree

For butterfly and bee

Its summer morns:

That I might bloom mine hour

A rose in spite of thorns.


Oh that my work were done

As birds' that soar

Rejoicing in the sun:

That when my time is run

And daylight too,

I so might rest once more

Cool with refreshing dew.



A Summer Wish
Christina Georgina Rossetti
(1830-1894)
English Christian poetess




No comments:

Post a Comment