Tuesday, January 18, 2022

I Could Never Do Without Thee

 

I could not do without Thee

O Savior of the lost,

Whose precious blood redeemed me

At such tremendous cost.

Thy righteousness, Thy pardon

Thy precious blood, must be

My only hope and comfort,

My glory and my plea.


The Glory Of Christ
(2018)
Spencer Meagher
Fine Art America



I could not do without Thee,

I cannot stand alone,

I have no strength or goodness,

No wisdom of my own;

But Thou, beloved Savior,,

Art all in all to me,

And perfect strength in weakness

Is theirs who lean on Thee.

I could not do without Thee,

For, oh, the way is long,

And I am often weary,

And sigh replaces song.

How could I do without Thee?

I do not know the way;

Thou knowest, and Thou leadest,

And wilt not let me stray.

I could not do without Thee,

O Jesus, Savior dear!

E'en when my eyes are holden,

I know that Thou are near.

How dreary and how lonely

This changeful life would be,

Without the sweet communion,

The secret rest with Thee.

I could not do without Thee!

No other friend can read

The spirit's strange deep longings,

Interpreting its need;

No human heart could enter

Each dim recess of mine,

And soothe, and hush, and calm it,

O blessed Lord, but Thine.

I could not do without Thee,

For years are fleeting fast,

And soon in solemn loneness

The river must be passed;

But Thou will never leave me,

And though the waves roll high,

I know Thou wilt be near me,

And whisper, "It is I."



Frances Ridley Havergal
Photograph courtesy of 
 the Havergal Trust


"I Could Never Do Without Thee"
(1873)
Frances Ridley Havergal
"Christ's sweet singer"
(1836-1879)
English Christian poetess
and hymn writer




No comments:

Post a Comment