Friday, April 12, 2024

Flashback Friday: I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song

 




Perhaps the greatest folk singer/storyteller of the early 1970's,  Jim Croce
 wrote the words to "I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song" in early 1973
when he arrived home and got into a disagreement with his wife, Ingrid.

Instead of arguing with her, he went downstairs and began to play like
he always did when he wrote songs.  Early the next morning he came
back upstairs and tenderly sang the finished song to Ingrid.

Later that year, Jim Croce and several others were killed in a plane crash
in Louisiana.  He was 30 years old.  In a letter to Ingrid which arrived 
 after his death, Jim told her that he had decided to quit music and wanted 
 to write short stories and movie scripts as a career. He missed being
home with his wife and their son, A.J.

The very same week that Jim died the title cut from his album,
"I Got A Name" was released.  After the delayed release of a song 
from his previous album, "Time In A Bottle" this beautiful heartfelt
love ballad was the second single released from his final album.

A talented man gone way too soon.  

May he rest in peace.



I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song
Jim Croce
(1973 Released posthumously in 1974)







No comments:

Post a Comment