Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veteran's Day 2014



There's a graveyard near the White House
  Where the Unknown Soldier lies,
And the flowers there are sprinkled
With the tears from mother's eyes.

I stood there not so long ago
With roses for the brave,
And suddenly I heard a voice
Speak from out the grave:

"I am the Unknown Soldier,
The spirit voice began
"And I think I have the right
To ask some questions man to man.

"Are my buddies taken care of?
Was their victory so sweet?
Is that big reward you offered
Selling pencils on the street?

"Did they really win the freedom
They battled to achieve?
Do you still respect that Croix de Guerre
Above that empty sleeve?
"Does a gold star in the window
Now mean anything at all?
I wonder how my old girl feels
When she hears a bugle call.

"And that baby who sang
Hello, Central, give me no man's land.
Can they replace her daddy
With a military band?

"I wonder if the profiteers
Have satisfied their greed?
I wonder if a soldier's mother
Ever is in need?

"I wonder if the kings, who planned it all
Are really satisfied?
They played their game of checkers
And eleven million died.

"I am the Unknown Soldier
And maybe I died in vain,
But if I were alive and my country called,
I'd do it all over again.
-Billy Rose


The Battle of Lexington
The Revolutionary War
1775-1783





General Kearney's gallant charge
 at the Battle of Chantilly, Va
The American Civil War
1861-1865



Spanish American War 
1898







          World War I Dough Boys
1914-1918






US Troops Storming The Beaches
 Normandy, France  
June, 1944
WW11




U.S. troops pass a group of retreating civilians
 near the Naktong River in South Korea
during the Korean War 
(1950-1953)












         American soldiers in Vietnam
1966








Operation Desert Storm
1991






US Troops On The Ground In Afghanistan 
2001










Operation Iraqi Freedom
 2003












To all our soldiers and veterans, 
past and present,
 thank you for your service
 and sacrifice for this nation
 and thank you especially
 for my freedom. 
 God Bless You!




No comments:

Post a Comment