Sunday, December 4, 2016

Mary's Song




The Annunciation
John William Waterhouse
(1914)





My soul glorifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices
in God my Savior,
for He has been mindful
of the humble state of His servant.

From now on all generations
will call me blessed,
for the Mighty One
has done great things for me-
holy is His name.
His mercy extends
to those who fear Him,
from generation to generation."
Luke 1:46-50



 The Virgin in Prayer
 Giovanni Battista Salvi da Sassoferrato
(1650) 





What Child is this who, laid to rest
On Mary’s lap is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?
This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing;
Haste, haste, to bring Him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

Why lies He in such mean estate,
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christians, fear, for sinners here
The silent Word is pleading.
Nails, spear shall pierce Him through,
The cross be borne for me, for you.
Hail, hail the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

So bring Him incense, gold and myrrh,
Come peasant, king to own Him;
The King of kings salvation brings,
Let loving hearts enthrone Him.
Raise, raise a song on high,
The virgin sings her lullaby.
Joy, joy for Christ is born,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

"What Child Is This?"
 Words by William C. Dix
The Manger Throne
1865
Music: "Greensleeves"
16th Century English Melody




The Nativity of our Lord
A Story of Faith




"Keep and protect me, O God, for
in You I have found refuge, and in You
do I put my trust and hide myself.

I say to the Lord, You are my Lord;
I have no good beside or beyond You.

Therefore my heart is glad and my
glory, inner self, rejoices; my body too
shall rest and confidently dwell in safety.

You will show me the path of life;
in Your presence is fullness of joy,
at Your right hand there are
pleasures forevermore."
Psalm 16:1,2,9,11







No comments:

Post a Comment