Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy 2017



"You crown the year with
Your bounty and goodness,
and the tracks of Your chariot
drip with abundance."
Psalm 65:11


 
Vintage New Year's 
Greeting Card





Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light;
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

Ring out the grief that saps the mind,
For those that here we see no more,
Ring out the feud of rich and poor,
Ring in redress to all mankind.

Ring out a slowly dying cause,
And ancient forms of party strife;
Ring in the nobler modes of life,
With sweeter manners, purer laws.

Ring out the want, the care the sin,
The faithless coldness of the times;
Ring out, ring out my mournful rhymes,
But ring the fuller minstrel in.

Ring out false pride in place and blood,
The civic slander and the spite;
Ring in the love of truth and right,
Ring in the common love of good.

Ring out old shapes of foul disease,
Ring out the narrowing lust of gold;
Ring out the thousand wars of old,
Ring in the thousand years of peace.

Ring in the valiant man and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand;
Ring out the darkness of the land,
Ring in the Christ that is to be.
-Alfred, Lord Tennyson






Vintage Kewpie 
New Year's Greeting
 By Rose O'Neill






"Just For Today"
from Dear Abby's "Keepers"
By Abigail Van Buren


Pauline Esther "Popo" Phillips
 (July 4, 1918 – January 16, 2013)
 better known as Abigail Van Buren
or "Dear Abby"
was one of America's most
beloved advice columnists.

 


Dear Readers,

These New Year's resolutions are based on the
credo of Al-Anon. I have taken the liberty of
using that theme with some variations
of my own:


Just for today I will live through this day only,
and not set far-reaching goals to try to overcome
all my problems at once. I know I can do 
something for 12 hours that would appall me if
I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.


Just for today I will be happy.
Abraham Lincoln said, "Most folks are
about as happy as they make their
minds to be." 
He was right.

I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me.
I will chase them out of my mind and
replace them with happy thoughts.


Just for today I will adjust myself to what is.
I will face reality. I will correct those things I
can correct and accept those things
 I cannot correct.


Just for today I will improve my mind.
I will not be a mental loafer.
I will force myself to read something
that requires effort,
thought and concentration.


Just for today I will do something positive to
improve my health. If I'm a smoker, I'll make
an honest effort to quit. If I'm overweight, I'll
eat nothing I know to be fattening. 
And I will force myself to exercise-
even if it's only walking around
the block or using the stairs
instead of the elevator.


Just for today I'll do something I've been
putting off for a long time.
I'll finally write that letter,
make that phone call,
clean that closet,
or straighten out those dresser drawers.


Just for today, before I speak I will ask myself,
"Is it true? Is it kind?"
And if the answer to either of
those questions is negative, I won't say it.


Just for today I will make a conscious effort to
be agreeable. I will look as good as I can,
dress becomingly, talk softly, act courteously
and not interrupt when someone else is talking.
Just for today I'll not improve 
anybody except myself.


Just for today I will have a program.
I may not follow it exactly,
but I will have it,
thereby saving myself
 from two pests: 
hurry and indecision.


Just for today I will have a quiet half-hour
to relax alone.
During this time I will reflect on
my behavior and get a better
perspective on my life.


Just for today I will be unafraid.
I will gather the courage to do
what is right and take
responsibility for my own actions.
I will expect nothing from the world,
but I realize that as I give to the world,
the world will give to me.


Have a happy, healthy New Year.
And pray for peace!
Love, Abby

  
    
Holy Spirit Window Silk Square
Louis Comfort Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment