Sunday, April 21, 2019

Magnificent Obsession




Dangerous passions....Dark secrets....

 Within the house called Dragonwyck...



Beautiful, naive farm girl Miranda Wells (Gene Tierney) convinces
herself that her love for her distinguished and wealthy distant cousin,
Nicholas Van Ryn (Vincent Price) is both genuine and mutual when
the darkly brooding Nicholas pursues and marries her shortly after 
the sudden and mysterious death of his first wife, Johanna.
As the new mistress of Dragonwyck Manor however, the
innocent Miranda soon learns otherwise.


You're my magnificent obsession
The greatest wonder on this earth.
The Taj Mahal and other splendors
To me have really no worth.

You're my magnificent possession
A treasure lent me from above
As long as I have breath within me.
You'll be my one and only love.

(Instrumental Interlude)

You're my magnificent possession
A treasure lent me from above
As long as I have breath within me.
You'll be my one and only love



Miranda eventually meets the love of her life,
Doctor Jeff Turner (Glenn Langan) who saves
her life after Nicholas' attempts to poison her.
 "Dragonwyck"
(1946)


"But if each day, each hour, you feel that you are destined for me,
with implacable sweetness, if each day a flower, climbs up your lips
to seek me, ah my love, ah my own, in me all that fire is repeated,
in me nothing is extinguished or forgotten, my love feeds on your love,
as long as you live it will be in your arms without leaving mine."
-Pablo Neruda



Magnificent Obsession
From the album, "The Very Thought Of You"
 Recorded by Nat King Cole
(1958)


"Magnificent Obsession"
Composed by Frankie Laine/Fred Karger



No comments:

Post a Comment