Thursday, February 16, 2023

Thursday's Thoughts: Stay A Little Longer


"Chaste Snowdrop, venturous harbinger of Spring,
And pensive monitor of fleeting years!"
-William Wordsworth



Snowdrops
Myles Birket Foster
(1825-1899)
British Illustrator


"Stay a little longer," said the children to the snowdrop,

"Stay a little longer by the old laburnum tree."

But she said, "I must be going,

Be it hailing, raining, snowing,

I must stir and be going

For the Master calleth me."


"Stay a little longer," said the children to the snowdrop,

"Stay a little longer in your nut-brown nursery."

But she said, "I must be homing

To my sisters in the gloaming,

I must stir me and be homing

For the Master calleth me."

Anonymous



Along with early blooming crocus and daffodil, the pristine white
   snowdrop is often called,  "The Herald of Springtime".
Image courtesy/Public Domain Pictures




No comments:

Post a Comment