Friday, April 21, 2023

National Poetry Month Selection: Lilacs

 


"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He also has planted
eternity in men's hearts and minds, a divinely implanted sense of
purpose working through the ages which nothing under the sun
but God alone can satisfy, yet so that men cannot find out
what God has done from the beginning to the end."
(Ecclesiastes 3:11)



The Time Of The Lilacs
Sophie Gengembre Anderson
(1823-1903)
French-born British Victorian painter
Image courtesy/Wikimedia Commons



A wealth of lilacs have I here,

Their mystic whispers stir my ear.

Their lovely fragrance fills my heart,

As memories their blooms impart.

When I was but a little child

A lilac bush, untrimmed and wild,

Delighted me with joy untold,

Where shone the sun of purest gold,

I pulled the clustered lilac spray.

And breathed their fragrance of the day.

One morning time a lilac hue

Slipped softly o'er the sea of blue.

It seemed that the souls of lilac gone

Had stolen back to rule the dawn.

Fair lilacs of my thousand dreams,

My heart amid you thrills and teems

With thoughts and hopes of life to be

That seek to win the soul of me.

"Lilacs"
Helen Emma Maring



No comments:

Post a Comment