Saturday, June 1, 2024

Saturday Poetry Corner: A Red, Red Rose

 



A perfect tribute on this first day of June and National Rose Month.

In 1986, President Ronald Reagan signed a proclamation making the 
 rose the national flower of the United States, calling it a symbol of
"life and love and devotion, of beauty and eternity."



Image courtesy/Freepik



O my Love is like a red, red rose

That's newly sprung in June;

O my Love is like the melody

That's sweetly played in tune.


As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,

So deep in love am I;

And I will love thee still, my Dear,

Till all the seas gone dry.


Till all the seas gone dry, my Dear,

And the rocks melt with the sun;

I will love thee still, my Dear,

While the sands of life shall run.


And fare thee well, my only Love!

And fare thee well awhile!

And I will come again, my Love,

Though it were ten thousand mile.



"A Red, Red Rose"
(1794)
Robert Burns
(1759-1796)
Scottish poet and lyricist





No comments:

Post a Comment