Friday, December 26, 2014

Holly Hobbie Christmas



 The Christmas I was 11 years old,
 Holly Hobbie dolls were all the rage....



 Vintage Holly Hobbie Rag Doll
The Knickerbocker Company
1970's





I think that Holly's enormous popularity at the time
was due in part to the sweet, sunbonnet-wearing,
(although not in the photograph below)
Ingalls sisters of the hit NBC television series,
"Little House On The Prairie"
(1974-83) 

Sisters Mary, Carrie, and Laura Ingalls
Melissa Sue Anderson, Lindsay-Sidney Greenbush,
 Melissa Gilbert





The fourth Ingalls sister,
Baby Grace, seen here wearing
her sunbonnet, was played by
identical twin sisters,
Wendy and Brenda Turnbaugh







 Today, thanks primarily to the online auction site eBay.com,
 I have managed to collect 
several of Holly's friend dolls, including
 Heather, Amy, and Carrie.





  I recently came across
 a porcelain Holly Hobbie
 in my local Goodwill store.
  She was tossed up
 on the top shelf of the messy
 doll and toy section of the store
 when I spotted her pink calico print
 and lace-trimmed straw sunbonnet. 
 More than a little curious,
 I carefully picked her up
 from the tangle of toys
 on the top shelf. 
As soon as I saw
 the small smattering of freckles
 across her adorable little face
 I knew who she was right away!
 And I only paid $3.00 for her!


  "Spring"
   From the Four Seasons series
 of collectible bisque porcelain
 Holly Hobbie dolls, 
made by the
Gorham Doll Company, 
in association with
 American Greetings
(1984)



Fond Memories Of Holly....





 
I will never forget
 the beautiful Holly Hobbie Cake
 my mother made for my
 11th birthday with her
 Wilton Cake pan!  





 

Or, how Mom had to sew
 my Holly rag doll's legs
 back together after
our dog chewed on them!






Holly is a sweet, shy little country girl...




and patriotic American lass,





a prolific daydreamer...




always cooking up some fun...




while bringing  joy and happiness




to everyone she meets!



Creator of Holly Hobbie
  Denise Holly Ulinskas










Holly will always bring me
 happy and
precious memories
 of my childhood days...







and Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment