Sunday, January 25, 2015

January Journal



January is one of my favorite
months of the year...




A time of new beginnings,
and hopes and dreams...



and birthday cake
(Mine)
with vanilla ice cream!








"He has made everything beautiful in it's time."
Ecclesiastes 3:11







Of all the birds that visit
my front yard feeder
I love the
  beautiful
Papa and Mama
 Cardinals
the best.
Their lovely crimson
red ( male) and golden
(female) feathers 
always look
so beautiful
against a backdrop
of newly fallen snow.






"And I say,
 Oh, that I had wings
 like a dove! 
 I would fly away
 and be at rest."
Psalm 55:6







 "I believe 
we would be happier
to have a personal revolution
in our individual lives
and go back to simpler living
and more direct thinking.
It is the simple
things of life
that make living worthwhile,
the sweet, fundamental things
such as love and duty,
work and rest,
and living close to nature."
-Laura Ingalls Wilder

Author of the "Little House" books
Laura Ingalls Wilder






Wintertime in the Ozarks








"The heavens declare the
glory of God..."
Psalm 19:1


January's cold clear nights
are a stargazer's delight!






"Many are the stars I see,
Yet in my eye, no star like thee."
-18th century 
English verse 
 

 The comet, Lovejoy,
 was also visible
in the nighttime skies
 this month.
This celestial wonder 
will not be seen again
for another 8,000 years! 






Lucy Maude Montgomery
author of
"Anne of Green Gables"

Winter Dawn 
 Above the marge of night a star still shines,
And on the frosty hills the sombre pines
Harbor an eerie wind that crooneth low
Over the glimmering wastes of virgin snow.

Through the pale arch of orient the morn
Comes in a milk-white splendor newly-born,
A sword of crimson cuts in twain the gray
Banners of shadow hosts, and lo, the day!
 -Lucy Maude Montgomery


"By the light 
of the silvery moon,
I want to spoon, 
to my honey 
I'll croon love's tune...

" Skating On The Swan Pond"
Will Moses 

...Honeymoon,
 keep a-shining in June,
Your silvery beams
 will bring love dreams, 
we'll be cuddling soon,
By the silvery moon."

"By The Light Of The Silvery Moon"
Lyrics by Edward Madden
(1909) 





January's
 cold and blustery weather
makes lots of folks
hellbent for leather
 for the warmth of May,
and bright, sunny skies,
 and the sweetly sour taste
of old-fashioned
rhubarb pies!
-Pamela D. Brida


 
PS: Just don't skimp on the sugar! 





A delicious dessert that
 might have been made by
Laura for Almanzo
 and Rose
 in the kitchen on
Rocky Ridge Farm,
 or by
fastidious housekeeper
and cook,
Marilla Cuthbert
for Matthew and Anne
at Green Gables
Farmhouse 

Old Fashioned Rhubarb Pie

 31/2 cups cut up rhubarb
11/2 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons salted butter
 1 9-inch double pie crust

Line pie plate with pastry.
In a mixing bowl,
gently toss cut up rhubarb
with sugar mixed with flour
 and place in crust.
Dot with
bits of butter.
Cover with strips of pastry to make
a lattice crust.
Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then
reduce oven to 350 and bake
for another 45 minutes,
until done.



Pie Crust
11/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp, salt
1/2 cup shortening
(Crisco works great)
About 4 Tablespoons cold water
Sift together the flour and salt and
work in the shortening using finger tips,
two butter knives, or a fork.
The mixture should be of the 
consistency of coarse meal;
take care not to overwork
the "meal" into a greasy paste.
Add enough cold water to make
a dough that will just hold
together, mixing lightly.
This amount should be
sufficient for one
 double crusted pie.








 
Postscript...

 Monday, 26 January 2015

  ...January Finds...

The latest addition to my
doll collection
1965's "Baby Dear One"
from the
Vogue Doll Company




I have always been
partial to life-sized baby dolls
especially the ones I might
have owned as a child.
I found my new baby
at a local thrift shop.
 She was lying on a shelf
just waiting for me
to find her.

Although the doll
pictured above is
not my doll, 
this is what
my new doll
looks like.

I brought her home
and washed her in 
my washing machine
but she still smells
like she was stored 
in someone's musty
old cellar.

I read on
an Internet site
that storing her
in a paper bag
with a few pieces of
 charcoal or coffee beans
might rid her of the odor. 

That said, however,
"Baby Dear One"
is in otherwise
great condition
for a 50
year old doll!
And a steal
for $10.00!

I bought her
as a birthday present
for myself this year. 

 And I believe the little
yellow dress and
sweater and bonnet
she is wearing
are all original too.
She is missing one
of her little booties,
but on close examination
I do not think they're
original to this
lovely baby doll.



Another lucky find
at the same
local thrift store
was this
vintage
Holly Hobbie
High Chair
from the 1970's.
(This is not the one I bought
but looks just like it!)
I purchased this
for only $6.00!







Tonight we are bracing
for a classic Nor'easter...


Keeping warm while
Andy croons...



 A storm named "Juno"
will come whipping it's
way past us and
north to New England,
but not before
dumping nearly
two feet of snow
in her wake!
Or is it
"his wake"?

Anyway...

We'll weather
the blast!



Break out the 
Scrabble board
and bring on
hearty mugs of
 hot cocoa
with lots of 
mini marshmallows,
please! 

No comments:

Post a Comment