Thursday, July 26, 2018

Parable Of The Wild Fruit




Out in the berry patch, the bluejays scolded me for trespassing.
They talked of a food shortage and threatened terrible things to profiteers
who took more than their share of the necessaries of life.
But I was used to their clamor and not alarmed even when one
swooped down and struck my bonnet.
I knew they would not harm me and kept right on picking berries.
This is a parable. I give it to you for what it is worth, trusting you
to draw your own comparisons.



 Huckleberries



When the Man of the Place and I, with the small daughter, came to
Missouri some years ago, we tried to save all the wild fruit in the woods.
Coming from the plains of Dakota where the only wild fruit was the few
chokecherries growing on the banks of small lakes, we could not bear to see
go to waste the perfectly delicious wild huckleberries, strawberries, and
blackberries which grew so abundantly everywhere on the hills.

By the way, did you ever eat chokecherries?  At first taste they are very
good, and the first time I tried them I ate quite a few before my throat began
to tighten with a fuzzy, choking feeling.  A green persimmon has nothing on 
a ripe chokecherry, as I know. I have tried both.

So when we came to the Ozarks, we reveled in the wild fruit, for as of
yet there was no tame fruit on the place.

Huckleberries came first, and we were impatiently waiting for them
to ripen when somebody told me that the green ones made good pies.
Immediately, I went out into the little cleared space in the woods where
the low huckleberry bushes grew and gathered a bucket of berries.
Company was coming to dinner next day, and I took special pains to
make a good pie of the berries; for I did want my new neighbors
to enjoy the visit. And the crust of the pie was deliciously crisp
and flaky, but after one taste, the visitors seemed to hesitate.
I took a mouthful of my piece and found it bitter as gall.
I never tasted gall, but that is the bitterest expression I know
and nothing could be more bitter than that pie.

"Oh!" I exclaimed. "They told me green huckleberries were good!"
"These can't be huckleberries," said Mrs. X, "for green huckleberries
do make good pies."
Mr. X was examining the berries in his portion.
"These are buckberries," he said. "They grow on a bush about the
size of a huckleberry bush, and you must have made a mistake 
when you gathered them."

And so I added to my knowledge the difference between huckleberries
and buckberries, and we have enjoyed many a green huckleberry pie since then.
Used when quite small, the berries not only taste delicious but give a
bouquet of perfume to the pie that adds wonderfully to the pleasure of eating it.

When blackberries came on, chiggers were ripe also, and there is nothing
a chigger enjoys so much as feasting on a "foreigner".
The blackberry patches are their home, and we made many a chigger
happy that season. We gathered the berries by bucketsful; we filled pans
and pots and all the available dishes in the house, then hastily we bathed in
strong soapsuds and applied remedies to the worse bitten spots.
Then I put up the berries and cleared the decks for the next day's
picking, for gather them we would, no matter how the chigger bit.

I was thinking of these experiences while the bluejays screamed at
me in the berry patch-tame berries now. We never pick the wild ones these
days because there are large tame ones in the plenty.

The apple trees that were little switches when we picked the wild
fruit have supplied us with carloads of apples. 
 Even the chiggers never bother us anymore.

We are so accustomed to an abundance of fruit that we do not
appreciate the fine cultivated sorts as we did the wild kinds that we
gathered at the cost of so much labor and discomfort.

There is a moral here somewhere, too, I am sure, and again
I will leave it for you to discover.


Old-Fashioned Blackberry Pie




"Parable Of Wild Fruit"
(July 1920)

 Laura Ingalls Wilder
(1867-1957)
Prolific American writer

From the book, "Little House In The Ozarks"
A Laura Ingalls Wilder Sampler
The Rediscovered Writings
Edited by Stephen W. Hines
 Guideposts Edition
(1991)



No comments:

Post a Comment