Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Yankee Doodle





The Spirit of  1776
(Originally titled "Yankee Doodle")
Archibald MacNeal Willard
(1876)



Father and I went to camp,
Along with Captain Gooding,
And there we see the men and boys
As thick as hasty pudding.

(chorus)
Yankee Doodle keep it up,
Yankee Doodle, dandy,
Mind the music and the step
And with the girls be handy.

And there we see a thousand men,
As rich as 'Squire David;
And what they wasted every day
I wish it could be saved.

And there we see a swamping gun
Large as a log of maple,
Upon a deuced little cart,
A load for father's cattle.

And every time they shoot it off,
It takes a horn of powder,
And makes a noise like father's gun,
Only a nation louder.

I see a little barrel too,
The heads were made of leather,
They knocked upon't with little clubs
And called the folks together.

And there was Captain Washington,
And gentlefolks about him,
They say he's grown so tarnal proud
He will not ride without'em.



Hour Of Victory
Washington And His Army
On The March To Trenton 1776
Edward Percy Moran
(1862-1935)


He got him on his meeting clothes,
Upon a strapping stallion,
He set the world along the rows,
In hundreds and in millions.

I see another snarl of men
A-digging graves they told me,
So tarnal long, so tarnal deep,
They 'tended they should hold me.

It scared me so, I hooked it off,
Nor stopped, as I remember,
Nor turned about, till I got home,
Locked up in mother's chamber.



"Yankee Doodle"
(1775-76)
 Edward Bangs
(1758-1818)
American balladeer who served as
a minuteman at the Battle of Lexington



No comments:

Post a Comment