Friday, November 9, 2018

From "The Marshes Of Glynn"





Beautiful glooms, soft dusks in the noon-day fire,-
Wildwood privacies, closets of lone desire,
Chamber from chamber parted with wavering arras of leaves,-
Cells for the passionate pleasure of prayer to the soul that grieves,
Pure with a sense of the passing of saints through the wood,
Cool for the dutiful weighing of ill with good;-


O braided dusks of the oak and woven shades of the vine,
While the riotous noon-day sun of the June-day long did shine
Ye held me fast in your heart and I held you fast in mine;
But now when the noon is no more and the riot is rest,
And the sun is a-wait at the ponderous gate of the West,
And the slant yellow beam down the wood-aisle doth seem
Like a lane into heaven that leads from a dream,-


Marsh near Jekyll Island, Georgia


Ay, now, when my soul all day hath drunken the soul of the oak,
And my heart is at ease from men, and the wearisome sound of the stroke
Of scythe of time and the trowel of trade is low,
And belief overmasters doubt, and I know that I know,
And my spirit is grown to a lordly great compass within,
That the length and the breadth and the sweep of the Marshes of Glynn
Will work me no fear like the fear they have wrought me of yore
When length was fatigue, and when breadth was but bitterness sore,
And when terror and shrinking and dreary unnamable pain
Drew over me out of the merciless miles of the plain.


Inward and outward to northward and southward the 
beach-lines linger and curl,
As a  silver-wrought garment that clings to and follows
the firm sweet limbs of a girl.
Vanishing, swerving, evermore curving again into sight,
Softly the sand-beach wavers away to a dim gray looping of light.
And what if behind me to westward the wall of the woods stands high?
The world lies east; how ample, the marsh and the sea and the sky!
A league and a league of marsh-grass, waist-high, broad in the blade,
Green, and all of a height, and unflecked with a light or a shade,
Stretch leisurely off, in a pleasant plain,
To the terminal blue of the main.


It was during his visit to this spot in Brunswick, Georgia that the
poet Sidney Lanier was inspired to write "The Marshes of Glynn".
(The original Oak has since died.)


As the marsh-hen secretly builds on the watery sod,
Behold I will build me a nest on the greatness of God:
I will fly in the greatness of God as the marsh-hen flies
In the freedom that fills all the space 
'twixt the marsh and the skies:


By so many roots as the marsh-grass sends in the sod
I will heartily lay me a-hold on the greatness of God:
Oh, like to the greatness of God is the greatness within
The range of the marshes, the liberal marshes of Glynn.


How still the plains of the waters be!
The tide is in his ecstasy.
The tide is at his highest height:
And it is night.


And now from the Vast of the Lord 
will the waters of sleep
Roll in on the souls of men,
But who will reveal to our waking ken
The forms that swim and the shapes that creep
Under the waters of sleep?


And I would I could know what swimmeth  
 below when the tide comes in
On the length and the breadth of the
marvellous  Marshes of Glynn.



"Excerpt from the poem.
"The Marshes of Glynn"
"The Poems of Sidney Lanier"
Edited by his wife, Mary D. Lanier
(1884)
Sidney Lanier
(1842-1881)
American musician and poet
Veteran of the Confederate Army
and former prisoner of war.




No comments:

Post a Comment