Thursday, November 22, 2018

Laura and Mary Quarrel at Thanksgiving




As Thanksgiving day draws near again, I am reminded of an occurrence
of my childhood. To tell the truth, it is a yearly habit of mine to think
of it about this time and to smile at it once more.



Pa (Charles) Ingalls planted the four cottonwood trees, shown in the distance,
in 1880, when the Ingalls family homesteaded on the prairie in Dakota Territory,
near the town of De Smet, in what is today the state of South Dakota.



Father had laid in a supply of provisions for the winter, and among them
were salt meats; but for fresh meat we depended on Father's gun and the antelope
which fed in herds across the prairie. So we were quite excited, one day near
Thanksgiving, when Father hurried into the house for his gun and then away again
to try for a shot at a bleating flock of wild geese hurrying south.
We would have roast goose for Thanksgiving dinner!

"Roast goose and dressing seasoned with sage," said sister Mary.
"No, not sage! I don't like sage, and we won't have it in the dressing," I exclaimed.
Then we quarreled, sister Mary and I, she insisting that there should be sage
in the dressing, and I declaring there should not be sage in the dressing,
until Father returned-without the goose!


Mary Amelia Ingalls
(1865-1928)
Laura's older sister went blind
after an illness at the age of 14.
She later graduated from the Iowa College
for the Blind in Vinton, Iowa. 
Afterwards, she returned home to DeSmet
and lived with Pa and Ma.  Mary never
married and was actively involved with the
missionary societies at her church for many years.
She died at her younger sister Carrie's home in Keystone, South Dakota
and is buried in the Ingalls family plot in DeSmet.


I remember saying in a meek voice to sister Mary, "I wish I had let you have
the sage," and to this day when I think of it, I feel again just as I felt then and
realize how thankful I would have been for roast goose and dressing with sage
seasoning-with or without seasoning- I could have even gotten along without
the dressing.  Just plain roasted goose would have been plenty good enough.

This little happening has helped me to be properly thankful even though at
times the seasoning of blessings has not been just such as I would have chosen.

"I suppose I should be thankful for what we have, but I can't feel very
thankful when I have to pay $2.60 for a little flour and the price still going up,"
writes a friend, and in the same letter she says, "we are in our usual health."
The family are so used to good health that it is not even taken into consideration
as a cause of thanksgiving. We are so inclined to take for granted the 
 the blessings we possess and to look for something peculiar, 
some special good luck for which to be thankful.

I read a Thanksgiving story the other day in which a woman sent her little
boy out to walk around the block and look for something for which to be thankful.
One would think that the fact of his being able to walk around the block, and
that he had a mother to send him, would have been sufficient cause for
thankfulness. We are nearly afflicted with mental farsightedness and so
easily overlook the thing which is obvious and near.  There are our hands and
feet- who ever thinks of giving thanks for them, until indeed they, 
or the use of them are lost?

We usually accept them as a matter of course, without a thought, but a
year of being crippled has taught me the value of my feet and two perfectly
good feet are now among my dearest possessions.* Why, there is greater
occasion for thankfulness just in the unimpaired possession of one of the
five senses than there would be if someone left us a fortune.
Indeed, how could the value of one be reckoned?
When we have all five in good working condition, we surely need not
to make a search for anything else in order to feel that we should
give thanks to Whom thanks are due.

I once remarked upon how happy and cheerful a new acquaintance
seemed always to be, and the young man to whom I spoke replied,
"Oh, he's just glad that he is alive."
Upon inquiry, I learned that several years before, this man had been
seriously ill; that there had been no hope for his living, but to everyone's
surprise he had made a complete recovery, and since then he has
always been remarkably happy and cheerful.



"Laura and Mary Quarrel at Thanksgiving"
(November 1916)
Laura Ingalls Wilder
(1867-1957)
Prolific American author and pioneer girl

From the book, "Little House In The Ozarks"
A Laura Ingalls Wilder Sampler
The Rediscovered Writings
Edited by Stephen W. Hines
Guideposts Edition
(1991)

* Unfortunately her husband, Alamanzo, was somewhat crippled
in both feet following a stroke early on in their marriage.
He had become sick, had tried to get back to work too soon,
and had suffered the stroke.



No comments:

Post a Comment