Monday, December 3, 2018

Chanukah Lights






I kindled my eight little candles
My Chanukah candles and lo!
Fair visions and dreams half-forgotten
To me came of years long ago.

I musingly gazed at my candles
Meseemed in their quivering flames
In golden, in fiery letters
I read the old glorious names.



The Triumph of Judas Maccabaeus
(1635)
Peter Paul Reubens
(1577-1640)



The names of our heroes immortal,
The noble, the brave, and the true,
A battle-field saw I in vision
Where many were conquered by few.

Where trampled in dust lay the mighty
Judea's proud Syrian foe;
And Judas, the brave Maccabaeus
In front of his army I saw.

His eyes shone like bright stars of heaven
Like music rang out his strong voice;
Brave comrades, we fought and we conquered
Now let us, in God's name, rejoice!

"We conquered-but know, O brave comrades
No triumph is due to the sword!
Remember our glorious watchword,
For People and Towns of the Lord!"

He spoke, and from all the four corners
An echo repeated each word,
The woods and the mountains re-echoed;
For People and Towns of the Lord!

And swiftly the message spread, saying
"Judea, Judea is free,
Re-kindled the lamp in the Temple,
Re-kindled each bosom with glee!"

My Chanukah-candles soon flickered
Around me was darkness of night;
But deep in my soul I felt shining
A heavenly-glorious light.






Have a blessed and beautiful Chanukah!




"Chanukah Lights"
From "The Standard Book of Jewish Verse"
(1917)
Phillip Max  Raskin
(1880-1944)
Jewish American poet





No comments:

Post a Comment