Monday, May 13, 2019

Remembering America's Sweetheart Doris Day 1922-2019



"Farewell, dear voyageur-the river winds and turns;

The cadence of your song wafts near to me,

And now you know the thing that all men learn:

There is no death-there's immortality."

-Unknown



Doris Day
"Midnight Lace"
(1960)


"I just about fell apart"
-Doris Day

That was Doris' reaction upon hearing what I think of as
her signature song, "Secret Love" for the first time.

In August, 1953 after she did her very first recording 
 of the song for the movie, "Calamity Jane"
 Warner Bros. musical director, Ray Heindorf,
told Doris: "That's it. You're never going to do it better."

My mother often sang this song to me when I was a little girl.
In addition to "On Moonlight Bay" and "By The Light Of The Silvery Moon"
"Secret Love" remains one of my all-time  favorite Doris Day songs. 
 And "Calamity Jane" is one of my favorite movies!



"Once I had a secret love

That lived within the heart of me

All too soon my secret love

Became impatient to be free..."



"Secret Love"
From the movie, "Calamity Jane"
(1953)


Remembering
"America's Sweetheart"
Doris Day
 Born Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff
(April 3 1922-May 13, 2019)


A beautiful lady with a beautiful voice.
May she rest in peace.



"Secret Love"
(1953)
Composed by Sammy Fain
Lyrics by Paul Francis Webster




No comments:

Post a Comment