Sunday, May 19, 2019

Third Sunday Meditation:Weathering The Showers





"Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God,
that in due time He will exalt you."
1 Peter 5:6



Water Lilies
(1920-26)
Claude Monet
French Impressionist


The Water Garden by Claude Monet 
is one of my favorite paintings.
You will find the original in an impressionist museum, de l'Orangerie, in Paris.

It is painted in the round and hangs in a circular room.
When you stand in the center of the room you are completely
engulfed in a luxuriant water garden!

My print, hanging over the desk in my office, is only a small
representation of the delightful, full-scale original.

If you study the painting, one of the surprises you will find
is that the major part of the canvas is covered in dark shades of
black, blue, and green.  These rather drab colors stand in stark
contrast to the delicate pastels.

Actually, they serve to highlight the beautiful florals, which

appear rich and striking upon the deep, dark waters.
At first glance, your eyes are drawn to the colorful petals;
then you realize that Monet painted the dark tones
to enhance the lighter.

Monet's painting has much to remind me about the water garden
of my life, and of its Artist.  First, it encourages me that there
is a purpose and design to my life, and that perhaps, at 
times, I focus too exclusively on the darker portions of my painting.
It also reminds me that my Lord, the Artist of my life, has
intentionally allowed the blue, green, and yes, sometimes even
the gray and black hues to be brushed on my canvas for a reason.
God uses these shadows to make my life richer.

Often, when I look back on difficulties, such as my father's death,
times when I have been misunderstood by friends or my expectations
have been dashed, I can see now, His handiwork creating a
brilliance of color and beauty from pain and suffering.
The Artist uses a multitude of techniques in our lives to
help us become the people He created us to be.

Finally, I am reminded that just like the water lilies in
Monet's masterpiece, God keeps the leaves and petals afloat
through the muck, wind, and rain that are part of the
storms of life. Water gardens survive April showers
and worse, and I will too, by God's help and grace.



Master of Life
Zemer Levav
(2007)


"Cast your burdens on the Lord and He will sustain you;
He will never allow the consistently righteous to be moved."
Psalm 55:22


"Weathering The Showers"
A devotional reading by
Beth Donigan Seversen
Christian pastor and writer


No comments:

Post a Comment