Sunday, January 24, 2021

Jesus Lover Of My Soul


"Because you have made the Lord your refuge,
the Most High your dwelling place,
There shall no evil befall you, nor any plague
or calamity come near your tent."
Psalm 91:9-10


  
"Jesus Lover Of My Soul"
Amy McCutcheon




Jesus, Lover of my soul,

Let me to Thy bosom fly,

While the nearer waters roll,

While the tempest still is high.

Hide me, O my Saviour, hide,

Till the storm of life is past;

Safe into the haven guide;

O receive my soul at last!

Other refuge have I none;

Hangs my helpless soul on Thee;

Leave, ah! leave me not alone,

Still support and comfort me.

All my trust on Thee is stayed,

All my help from Thee I bring;

Cover my defenseless head

With the shadow of Thy wing.

Thou, O Christ, art all I want;

More than all in Thee I find;

Raise the fallen, cheer the faint,

Heal the sick, and lead the blind.

Just and holy is Thy Name;

I am all unrighteousness;

False and full of sin I am,

Thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with Thee is found,

Grace to cover all my sin;

Let the healing streams abound;

Make and keep me pure within.

Thou of life the Fountain art,

Freely let me take of Thee;

Spring Thou up within my heart,

Rise to all eternity.

Amen. 


Standing Guard
(2012)
Lisa and Norman Hall




The Fear Of Battle Conquered By A Hymn

In the early 20th century, at a gathering of veterans from
both sides of the Civil War , an elderly Confederate recalled that
late one evening before the war had ended, he was on patrol
and happened upon a sentry from the opposing side.

His gun aimed with a clear line of vision, he was ready to
pull the trigger when the sentry broke into song,
"Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly..."

The gunman paused and listened. 

As the Union guard continued to sing, "Cover my
defenseless head with the shadow of Thy wing"
the soldier put his gun down and crept away.

"I couldn't kill that man though he were ten times
my enemy," he recalled.

A Union veteran spoke up.

"Was that in the Battle of Atlanta in '64?" he asked.

Indeed, it was.

"I was that sentry!" the Union veteran exclaimed.

He spoke of his fear of battle and the sense of hopelessness
he felt that night on patrol, and the peace and comfort 
brought by singing the hymn.




"Jesus Lover Of My Soul"
(1740)
Reverend Charles Wesley
(1707-1788)
English leader of the Methodist Movement


"The Fear Of Battle Conquered By A Hymn"
 By Eric Wyse



No comments:

Post a Comment