Saturday, July 24, 2021

"A Messenger From God"

 

"And I will restore or replace for you the years that 
the locusts have eaten...And you shall eat in plenty and
be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord, your God,
Who has dealt wondrously with you. And My people
shall never be put to shame."
(Joel 2:25-26)


Photo of Asia Bibi courtesy of Blanca Ruiz/ACI Prensa



Pakistani Christian Asia Bibi, who spent nine years in prison after being
accused of blasphemy against Islam, wants to be the voice of hope
for other persecuted Christians around the world.

As a guest speaker at the International Religious Freedom 
 Summit held in Washington DC this month, Asia declared 
that she "wants to be a voice for Christian people, 
Christians in prison,  and in difficulties."

In 2010, Asia was falsely accused by a coworker of insulting Islam and
sentenced to death for violating Pakistan's law against blasphemy
of the Islamic religion.  During the nine agonizing years she was held in
a prison cell, she relied strongly on her faith in Christ to allay her fears.

"When I was in prison, I was very worried about my children and husband,"
she said.  I was not aware where they were and whether they were
 safe or not. At the same time, I had hope in the Lord. 
 Thanks to all the brothers and sisters who prayed and fasted. 
Because of their prayers, I am now free."

Asia also related a remarkable story which happened to her while
in prison, and which reminded her of the trial of the prophet Elijah,
when he hid in the wilderness from those seeking to kill him.

During one of the darkest times in prison, Asia said that a bird
 came daily to visit her.  She believes the creature was a messenger 
from God, sent to strengthen her faith and trust in Him.

Two days before the Pakistani court sentenced Asia to death, a brown
bird with a long beak began appearing and sitting on the boundary wall
of the prison. The bird would return in the early evening.  Asia says
that the bird would sit there for about ten minutes each time and
that later they became friends and talked to each other.

Visits from the bird reminded Asia of the story of Elijah in the
wilderness: "The ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning
and bread and meat in the evening and would drink from the brook."
(1 Kings 17:6)

 "As I watched this bird every day, I tried to understand the
meaning of him coming day after day. I think this is a messenger
from God giving me His message."  Asia said that after each
visit from the bird she would be left with a feeling
of encouragement and peace.  

Although she was facing execution, the bird's visits provided
Asia with a glimmer of hope. Her faith was being sorely tested 
 time and again while awaiting the possibility of death, and 
 yet, even in the blackest moments, the promises of God 
 never to leave nor forsake His children sustained her. 
 

"Where could I go from your Spirit? Or where could I flee
from Your presence? If I ascend up into heaven, You are there;
if I make my bed in Sheol, behold you are there."
(Psalm 139:7-8)

In 2019,  Asia's conviction was overturned by  
  Pakistan's Supreme Court. 
After being freed from prison,
 however, she was forced into 
hiding due to threats
from hardline Islamists in Pakistan angered by
 the court's decision to release her.

Thousands of radical Muslims took to the streets in protest,
 demanding her death.  Officials in Pakistan also tried
 to prevent her from leaving the country, however,
in May 2019, Asia was granted asylum in Canada,
where she was eventually reunited with her daughters.

Speaking via video message from Canada at this year's summit,
 Asia expressed her gratitude to the people who worked to secure
her release from prison, and especially praised God for His faithfulness.

"From the bottom of my heart I am thankful to the Lord who has rescued 
 me from my sufferings and difficulties," Asia told her listening audience.
He has given me a fresh start and the opportunity to start
a new life with my family."





No comments:

Post a Comment