Saturday, July 3, 2021

On My Mind: The Most Effective Weapon



"The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."
(James 5:16)



The Prayer At Valley Forge
(1999)
Arthur Friberg



I love America and I love the 4th of July!  Next to Thanksgiving, it is
my favorite holiday.  On the 4th, I like to remember the patriots who fought
and died in the Revolutionary War so that I could live in freedom.
They were in a very bad and seemingly hopeless situation, too,
and yet, they did not give up!

General George Washington knew that the single most effective weapon
in winning America's freedom was the power of prayer.  He use to make his
troops kneel down and pray before each major battle, and whereas some of
them griped, they did what he said, and the result was an eventual and
amazing victory over the forces of the British crown.

If you think of the overwhelming odds in this case-the mighty British Red Coats
against bands of mainly volunteer farmers and blacksmiths-it could have only been
God's divine intervention which brought the nation of America into existence.

I remember too, when Abraham questioned the Lord about the fate of Sodom
and Gomorrah.  He asked, "Lord, if you find at least ten righteous people in those
cities will you destroy them?"  

And God answered, "For the sake of those ten I will not destroy those cities."

But He found no righteous people in those wicked places.

However, I know that here in America there are far more than ten people
who love and honor the Lord in their hearts.  And, while I cannot say for 
 certain what the future holds for this nation I love, I take inspiration from the
words of WWII concentration camp survivor Corrie ten Boom who said:

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."



No comments:

Post a Comment