Sunday, November 8, 2015

A Quietude Of Gracious Days





“The Lord is gracious and full of compassion;
 slow to anger, and of great mercy.”
 Psalm 145:8



Slow to anger, full of kindness,
Rich in mercy, Lord, Thou art,
Wash me in Thy healing fountain,
Take away my sinful heart.

Refrain
I would go the pilgrim’s journey,
Onward to the promised land;
I would reach the golden city,
There to join the angel band.
Thou wilt never, never leave me,
If I give myself to Thee,
Teach, O teach me how to praise Thee,
Tell me what my life should be.

Refrain
May Thy ever gracious spirit,
Lead me in the way of truth,
May I learn the voice of wisdom,
In the early days of youth.

Refrain
O! how sweet to rest confiding,
On Thy Word that cannot fail,
Strong in Thee, whate’er my trials,
Through Thy grace I must prevail.

Refrain
-Fanny Crosby 



Fanny Crosby
1820-1915
Blind from infancy,
 Fanny was  known as the
  "Queen of Gospel Song Writers".
A devout Christian woman,
she was also a poet and a song composer
and American mission worker.









That Long Ago Harvest

When the harvest comes I always think
Of that first good harvest so long ago.
After the perils and after the labors,
Then the Pilgrims made their valiant show.

They took their little, and here in this new world
They celebrated with heartfelt joy.
Glad was every Pilgrim grown up,
And every Pilgrim girl and boy.

Little they owned and few their comforts,
But, they were glad for what they had.
Here in this primitive land they dined,
And had good fellowship and were glad.

And the reason why they were so joyful
Was because they'd won their great desire:
Freedom to worship and freedom to live!
And thus their songs leaped high and higher!

So let's be thankful for what we have!
Let's be thankful for work and play!
Let's be thankful as were the Pilgrims
On that first Thanksgiving Day.
-Louise Hetrick


The First Thanksgiving 1621
Oil on canvas by
Jean Leon Gerome Ferris
(1899)





"I saw the lovely arch
Of rainbow span the sky,
The gold sun burning
As the rain swept by."

"November"

   -Elizabeth Coatsworth







Charity
There is so much good 
in the worst of us,
And so much bad
in the best of us,
That it ill behoves
any of us
to find fault with
the rest of us.
-Unknown







November, fringed with
nipping cool,
For Fall is everywhere;
A quietude of gracious days-
Thanksgiving's in the air.
-Henry W. Gurley






No comments:

Post a Comment