Thursday, November 12, 2015

Christ and the Little Ones



Christ and the Little Ones


"The Master has come over Jordan,"
said Hannah the mother one day;
"He is healing the people who throng Him,
With a touch of His fingers, they say.

"And now I shall carry the children,
Little Rachel and Samuel and John,
I shall carry the baby Esther,
For the Lord to look upon."

The father looked at her kindly,
But he shook his head and smiled;
"Now who but a doting mother
Would think of a thing so wild?

"If the children were tortured by demons,
Or dying of fever, 'twere well;
Or had they the taint of the leper,
Like many in Israel."

"Nay, do not hinder me, Nathan,
I feel such a burden of care;
If I carry it to the Master,
Perhaps I shall leave it there.

"If He lay His hand on the children,
My heart will be lighter, I know,
For a blessing for ever and ever
Will follow them as they go."

So over the hills of Judah,
Along by vine rows green,
With Esther asleep on her bosom,
And Rachel her brothers between;

'Mid the people who hung on His teaching,
Or waited His touch and His word,
Through the row of proud Pharisees listening
She pressed to the feet of the Lord.

"Now why shouldst thou hinder the Master,"
Said Peter, "with children like these?
Seest not how from morning to evening
He teacheth and healeth disease?"

Then Christ said, "Forbid not the children,
Permit them to come to Me!"
And He took in His arms little Esther,
And Rachel He sat on His knee:

And the heavy heart of the mother
Was lifted all earth care above,
As He laid His hand on the brothers,
And blest them with holiest love;

As He said of the babes in His bosom,
"Of such are the kingdom of Heaven"-
And strength for all duty and trial
That hour to her spirit was given.
-Julia Gill






"Let the little children come unto Me"
Matthew 19:13








Jesus Was A Child Like Me




Once Jesus was a child like me,
But O, so kind and true;
His ever watchful eye can see
The very things I do.


Refrain

Yes, Jesus was a child like me,
But O, so pure and true;
My blessèd Savior He will be,
If I but love Him, too.
He played upon the village street,
In such a pleasant way;
And ran with glad and willing feet,
His parents to obey.


Refrain
I want to be His little child,
And more like Him to grow;
And ever truthful, good and mild,
Because He loves me so.


Refrain
And now to Jesus I will pray,
To pardon me from sin;
And if I serve Him every day,
His blessing I shall win.


Refrain
-Fanny Crosby
(1914) 



No comments:

Post a Comment