Saturday, June 22, 2019

Come Down Ma Evenin' Star



Beautiful American stage actress Lillian Russell was best
 known for her lovely voice and as the long time companion
and friend of the flamboyant business man Diamond Jim Brady.
"Come Down Ma Evenin' Star" from the musical, "Hokey Pokey"
is considered Lillian's signature song.



Lillian Russell
Born Helen Louise Leonard
(December 4, 1860-June 6, 1922)



When from out of the shades of night
Come the stars a-shining bright
I spy the one I do love
I recognize ma true love
Underneath the tiny orbs of light
Search the sky from east to west
She's the brightest and the best
But she's so far above me
I know she cannot love me
Still I love her and more than all the rest.

(Chorus)

Ma evenin' star, I wonder who you are
Set up so high, like a diamond in the sky
No matter what I do, I can't go up to you
So come down  from there, ma evenin' star
Come down, come down
Come down from there ma evenin star

Love, I think has made me mad
'Cause when nights and clouds are clad
I want her more than ever
Want her to leave me never
And all around you, sorrowful and sad
Then when comes the day's bright light
And ma star fades from my sight
Ma love is unabating
I grown impatient waiting
To see again ma love, ma life that night.



"Come Down My Evenin' Star"
(1902)
Lyrics by Edgar Smith and Robert B. Smith
Music by John Stromberg and WT Francis



No comments:

Post a Comment