Sunday, June 16, 2019

Happy Father's Day 2019: "They Don't Make'em Like My Daddy Anymore



The first time I  heard this song I thought,
"This is so true!  They don't make men like my Daddy anymore!"
My father just turned 81 years old last month.  It is hard for
me to believe that he has reached his eighth decade of life.
I am thankful that despite a long struggle with Type II Diabetes,
he is in relatively good health and can still wield a powerful 
handshake as well as a tender bear hug.





In my mind I see him still as the handsome, hard-working man
 of my childhood and growing up years,  the tough former
 US Marine, who became a loving and devoted husband 
and family man, the father of six children, five daughters and one son.
He and Mom are also the proud grandparents of thirteen
 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. 

 Despite a tendency to be rather brusque in matters of the heart,
Dad penned quite a few love letters to my mother before they wed,
  courting her long distance while in the service.   He still dislikes
syrupy sentiments like the kind printed inside some Father's Day
cards, and yet, Mom has kept those love letters he wrote to her
 all these years as solid proof that despite the hard-nosed exterior,
my father has always been a secret romantic at heart.

This post I dedicate to you, Daddy.
They really don't make'em like you anymore!


"They don't make men like my daddy anymore,
Guess they've thrown away the pattern through the years
In a great big land of freedom at a time we really need'em
They don't make men like my daddy anymore..."



"They Don't Make'em Like My Daddy Anymore"
Loretta Lynn
(1972)
MCA Records



No comments:

Post a Comment