Monday, September 9, 2019

Poppies In The Wheat




Along Ancona's hills the shimmering heat,

A tropic tide of air, with ebb and flow

Bathes all the fields of wheat until they glow

Like flashing seas of green, which toss and beat




Gathering Wheat
Daniel Ridgway Knight
(1839-1924)
American artist



Around the vines. The poppies lithe and fleet

Seem running, fiery torchmen, to and fro

To mark the shore. The farmer does not know

That they are there. He walks with heavy feet,



Counting the bread and wine by autumn's gain,

But I,-I smile to think that days remain

Perhaps to me in which, though bread be sweet

No more, and red wine warm my blood in vain,

I shall be glad remembering how the fleet,

Lithe poppies ran like torchmen with the wheat.


"Poppies In The Wheat"
Helen Hunt Jackson
(1830-1885)
American poetess and writer
Activist for American Indians



No comments:

Post a Comment