Tuesday, November 24, 2020

O Pilgrim Pioneers!

 

An Original Pumpkin Pie-Pilgrim Style!


When I sit down to eat the feast

That ushers in Thanksgiving Day,

When I survey the fowl and beast

Carved up to make the season gay,

The chicken, turkey, ham, and beef

Which quickly soothe my hungry fears,

And prove enough of my relief-

Then I shout out, "O, Pioneers!"

"How thankful am I that you came

Across the waters deep and blue!

How thankful am I that your name

Is one that rings so sure and true!

And doubly thankful am I that

You picked a day to celebrate

With pumpkin pie and turkey fat,

A feast that one must call first rate!"

In my mind's eye I see those souls

In ancient, stalwart Pilgrim times,

Go forth while Indian war whoop rolls-

Descriptive of those trying climes!

And while I reach for turkey more,

And far and wide the table clears,

Thankful am I for this store,

O Pilgrim folks! O Pioneers!



First Thanksgiving-1621
 By artist Karen Rinaldo
A lithographic reproduction of an original painting
which was displayed at the Plimoth Plantation from 1995-2017.




"O Pilgrim, Pioneers!"
A poem from "The Giant Thanksgiving Book"
(c. 1935)
Louise Hetrick




No comments:

Post a Comment