Thursday, September 16, 2021

With Broken Heart And Contrite Sigh


"My sacrifice, the sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, broken down with sorrow for sin
and humbly and thoroughly penitent, such O God,
You will not despise."
(Psalm 51:17)


"Bind Up The Brokenhearted"
Sandy Freckleton Gagon


With broken heart and contrite sigh,

A trembling sinner, Lord, I cry;

Thy pardoning grace is rich and free:

O God, be merciful to me.

I smite upon my troubled breast,

With deep and conscious guilt oppressed,

Christ and His cross my only plea:

O God, be merciful to me.

Far off I stand with tearful eyes,

Nor dare uplift them to the skies;

But Thou dost all my anguish see:

O God, be merciful to me.

Nor alms, nor deeds that I have done,

Can for a single sin atone;

To Calvary alone I flee:

O God, be merciful to me.

And when, redeemed from sin and hell,

With all the ransomed throng I dwell,

My raptured song shall ever be,

God has been merciful to me.


"With Broken Heart And Contrite Sigh"
(1852)
Cornelius Elven
(1797-1873)
English Baptist clergyman
& Hymn writer




No comments:

Post a Comment