Monday, August 24, 2026

Monday Meditation: My Spirit Longs For Thee

 

 

 

 "My soul longs for You in the night; indeed my spirit seeks You at dawn. For when
Your judgments come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness."
(Isaiah 26:9)

 

 

Resting Against The Lion of Judah
Pam Herrick-Artist
Image courtesy/PamHerrick.com

 

 

 

My spirit longs for Thee,

Within my troubled breast,

Though I unworthy be

Of so divine a guest.


Of so divine a guest

Unworthy though I be,

Yet has my heart no rest

Unless it come from Thee. 


Unless it come from Thee,

In vain I look around;

In all that I can see

No rest is to be found. 


No rest is to be found

But in Thy blessed love;

O let my wish be crowned

And send it from above.


"Cheer up, desponding soul,

Thy longing, pleased, I see;

'Tis part of that great whole,

Wherewith I longed for thee. 


Wherewith I longed for thee,

And left My Father's throne;

From death to see thee free,

To claim thee for My own.


"To claim thee for My own,

I suffered on the cross;

Oh! were My love but known,

No soul could fear its loss. 


"No soul could fear its loss,

But, filled with love divine,

Would die on its own cross,

And rise forever Mine." 



The Poet As A Young Man
Image courtesy/Hymnary.org
 

"My Spirit Longs For Thee" 
(1881)
John Byrom
(1691-1763)
English Christian poet

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment