I arrived home just in time yesterday before a severe thunderstorm swept
through my neighborhood with very heavy rain and damaging winds.
Only a little while before this, I was driving home after doing some errands
and noticed the darkening skies to the west. I thought the strange blue-green
clouds of the approaching storm were unusual, and reminded me of the
super cell thunderstorms that form tornadoes on the western prairies.
It also looked as if the storm was moving away from my area,
heading towards the northeast.
Fifteen minutes later I was sitting at my kitchen table when it
suddenly grew very dark outside. A strong clap of thunder shook
the house as the wind came whipping across the yard. I went
to look out the back door to see what was happening.
Then, before my eyes, all hell literally broke loose.
As I stood watching at the back door with my oldest son, the
large branch in the picture below suddenly snapped off the big tree
next to our home and came crashing down only a few feet away,
barely missing the roof! My son then pointed out to me the
sudden shift in the direction of the wind, indicating that
there was rotation in the storm.
Meanwhile, the deluge of rain pouring down from the skies was absolutely
incredible! I don't think I've ever seen it rain so hard in my life! In our area,
we received over 4 inches of rain in less than a hour. Although thankfully,
we did not see a tornado, there was a tornado warning issued
for Salem County which is just south of my home.
Today I am most grateful to the One Who rules the wind and water for
keeping us safe in His love and mercy during this unexpectedly violent storm!
August 27, 2026
Image courtesy/Daniel Kelly
I am also thankful to God that although our area was one of the hardest hit
yesterday, I have not heard any reports of storm-related injuries or deaths.
There will, however, be some major road repair in the coming days!
In Gloucester County
FOX 29 Philadelphia
(August 28, 2026)


No comments:
Post a Comment