Thursday, March 15, 2018

Tadoussac



I've seen the Thousand Islands
In the beauty of the dawn;
And sailed on Lake Ontario,
When shades of night were drawn;

I've wandered in Toronto;
Climbed the "Mount" at Montreal;
Run the great St. Lawrence rapids,
Where the waters swirl and fall.



Jacques Cartier Discovering The Saint Lawrence River
Jean Antoine Theodore Gudin
(1847)


I've slept in the Chateau,
At Quebec; and known the thrill
Of rambling through the "old town"
And the fort upon the hill.

I've felt the sacred beauty
Of the splendor on Sag'nay;
The warmth of homespun blankets
That were made at Murray Bay



Three Montagnais Indian Birch Bark Wigwams
Point-Au-Pic Murray Bay
William Raphael
(1876)


But in my soul's a hunger
Once again for Tadoussac;
The endless fascination
Of its quaintness draws me back.

I hear again the mission bell
That calls the folks to prayer,
And as I walk the city streets
My heart is with them there.



Indian Church
Tadoussac, Quebec
Nora Collyer
(1947)




"Tadoussac"
A poem by Charles Bancroft

No comments:

Post a Comment