Wednesday, March 14, 2018

The Song Of The Bluebell Fairy




His  Woodland Highness
The Bluebell Fairy
Cecily Mary Barker


My hundred thousand bells of blue,
The splendour of the Spring,
They carpet all the woods anew
With royalty of sapphire hue;
The Primrose is the Queen 'tis true.
But surely I am King!
Ah yes,
The peerless Woodland King!


Loud, loud the thrushes sing their new song;
The bluebell woods are wide;
My stems are tall and straight and strong;
From ugly streets the children throng,
They gather armfuls, great and long,
Then home they troop in pride-
Ah yes,
With laughter and with pride!


Cover illustration by
Cecily Mary Barker


"I do not think I have ever seen anything more beautiful
than the bluebell I have been looking at. I know the beauty
of our Lord by it."
-Gerard Manley Hopkins



The Ocean In The Woods
Killarney, Ireland



"The Song Of The Bluebell Fairy"
Poem by Cecily Mary Barker





No comments:

Post a Comment