Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Wednesday's Word: The Doubter's Prayer

 


"The Lord is my Light and my Salvation-whom shall I fear or dread?
The Lord is the Refuge and Stronghold of my life-of whom shall I be afraid?"
(Psalm 27:1)


Haworth Parsonage in Haworth, England
(2009)
Home To The Bronte Sisters
Anne, Charlotte, and Emily
Picture courtesy/David Thompson



Eternal Power, of earth and air!

Unseen, yet seen in all around,

Remote, but dwelling everywhere,

Though silent heard in every sound;

If e'er Thine ear in mercy bent,

When wretched mortals cried to Thee,

And if, indeed, Thy Son was sent,

To save lost sinners such as me:

Then hear me now, while kneeling here,

I lift to Thee my heart and eye,

And all my soul ascends in prayer,

OH, GIVE ME, GIVE ME FAITH! I cry.

Without some glimmering in my heart,

I could not raise this fervent prayer;

But, oh! a stronger light impart,

And in Thy mercy fix it there.

While Faith is with me, I am blest;

It turns my darkest night to day;

But while I clasp it to my breast.

I often feel it slide away.

Then, cold and dark, my spirit sinks,

To see my light of life depart;

And every fiend of Hell, methinks,

Enjoys the anguish of my heart.

What shall I do, if all my love,

My hopes, my toil, are cast away,

And if there be no God above,

To hear and bless me when I pray?

If this be vain delusion all,

If death be an eternal sleep,

And none can hear my secret call,

Or see the silent tears I weep!

Oh, help me, God!  For Thou alone

Canst my distracted soul relieve;

Forsake it not:  It is Thine own,

Thou weak, yet longing to believe.

Oh, drive these cruel doubts away;

And make me know, that Thou art God!

A faith, that shines by night and day,

Will lighten every earthly load.

If I believe that Jesus died,

And waking, rose to reign above;

Then surely, Sorrow, Sin, and Pride,

Must yield to Peace, and Hope, and Love.

And all the blessed words He said,

Will strength and holy joy impart:

A shield of safety o'er my head,

A spring of comfort in my heart.




Portrait of Anne Bronte
by her sister Charlotte
(1834)
Image courtesy/Wikipedia


"The Doubter's Prayer"
(1846)
Anne Bronte
(1820-1849)
English writer and poet





No comments:

Post a Comment