Monday, March 27, 2017

Flowers On My Window Sill





Life did not bring me silken gowns,
Nor jewels for my hair,



 Bright red geraniums grown on a window sill
can chase the change-of-season blues away.




Nor signs of gabled foreign towns
In distant countries fair,
But I can glimpse, beyond my pane,
a green and friendly hill,
And red geraniums aflame 
upon my window sill.

The brambled cares of everyday
The tiny humdrum things,
May bind my feet when they would stray,
But still my heart has wings
While red geraniums are bloomed
against my window glass,
And low above my green-sweet hill
the gypsy wind-clouds pass.

And if my dreamings ne'er come true,
The brightest and the best,
But leave me lone my journey through,
I'll set my heart at rest,
And thank God for home-sweet things,
a green and friendly hill,
And red geraniums aflame
upon my window sill.

"Red Geraniums"
Martha Haskell Clark






If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft,
And from thy slender store
two loaves alone to thee are left,
Sell one, and with the dole
Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.

"Hyacinths To Feed Thy Soul"
Moslih Eddin Saadi
 Persian poet
(1184-1291)




Fragrant hyacinth always remind me of springtime,
the season of rebirth and new beginnings,
 the coming of Pesach (Passover),
and Easter.








Another flower which can be started indoors
on a window sill are lovely "Paperwhite" daffodils,
a member of the Narcissus family of flowers,
which are native to southern Europe and
parts of Asia.




"Art is the unceasing effort
 to compete with the beauty of flowers
 and never succeeding." 
-  Marc Chagall 

No comments:

Post a Comment