Thursday, March 17, 2022

Amhrán an Leipreacháin (Song Of The Leprechaun)

  


In a shady nook, one moonlit night, a leprechaun I spied

With a scarlet cap and a coat of green, and a cruiscin by his side

'Twas 'tic, tac, tic' his hammer went upon a tiny shoe

And I laughed to think he was caught at last-

but the fairy was laughing too.



Leprechaun Shoemaker
Image courtesy/Pinterest




With a tiptoe step and beating heart, quite softly I drew nigh

There was mischief in his merry face, a twinkle in his eye

He hammered and sang with a tiny voice, and drank his mountain dew

Oh, I laughed to think he was caught at last-

but the fairy was laughing too.


As quick as thought, I seized the elf,

"Your fairy purse!" I cried.

The purse, I see, is in the hand of that lady by your side."

I turned to look-The elf was gone! Then what was I to do?

Oh, I laughed to think what a fool I'd been-

but the fairy was laughing too.


" Amhrán an Leipreacháin"
 (Song Of The Leprechaun)
Robert Dwyer Joyce
(1830-1882)
Irish poet and writer
Collector of traditional Irish music



☘ Happy Saint Patrick's Day! ☘

The moon will be almost full tonight so watch out for the Wee Folk!




No comments:

Post a Comment